As edgy and intense as The Doors...A magnificent tribute!
Brent Black / www.critialjazz.com
I never got the allure of The Doors...ever. While I appreciate the creative mind of Jim Morrison and how they are perhaps the architects of the L.A. music scene, I simply found the music somewhat dull and uninspired. Till now...
There is a new psychedelic rock movement and the famed indie label Cleopatra brought together some of the finest bands for a tribute to The Doors that is indeed a cerebral mind-gasm of rock and roll delight. A Psych Tribute To The Doors is adventurous, raw and raucous which could also double as the shortest review on record. Highlights here include the Dark Horses with "Hello, I Love You" and an amazing version of "Soul Kitchen" from the Austin Texas band, The Black Angels. These are far more than cover tunes as each band magically reinvents the iconic catalog into a fresh psych sound for the next generation.
To go into great detail on a release such as this is beating a dead horse. You know the tunes, "Roadhouse Blues" and "Riders On The Storm." What you may not know is that there is a new musical movement, a sense of harmonic enlightenment that has the amazing ability to go back to the future with a creative zeal that would have Jim Morrison smiling...
1. Elephant Stone - L.A. Woman
2. The Black Angels - Soul Kitchen
3. Psychic Ills - Love Me Two Times
4. Dark Horses - Hello, I Love You
5. Camera - People Are Strange
6. Dead Meadow - The Crystal Ship
1. Sons Of Hippies - The Soft Parade
2. Dead Skeletons - Riders On The Storm
3. Wall Of Death - Light My Fire
4. Clinic - Touch Me
5. VietNam - Roadhouse Blues
6. The Raveonettes - The End